Leadership

     This week's study material focused on leadership. It is amazing how being an entrepreneur puts you immediately in the position of being a leader. One thing we must understand is that we do not have to wait until we attain that position before we begin acting like a leader. It is something that we should begin now to inculcate in our lives. Most people equate leadership with being in an exalted position, where they give commands and expect people to bow down and worship them while hanging on their every word. No! 

    Jim Ritchie, one of the co-founder of Launching Leaders explained that leadership involves taking people to a higher ground. It is the same opinion shared by Jim Collins in his book "Good to Great". His first ingredient in becoming great is becoming a level 5 leader. He says that: "Level 5 leaders look out the window to apportion credit to factors outside themselves when things go well. At the same time, they look in the mirror to apportion responsibility, never blaming bad luck when things go poorly." Leadership is not about getting praises but living in such a way that people are inspired to become better, put in their best and seek to attain greatness. Not in the way the world thinks but in the way that is described in Jim Collins describes.

    So how do I get there? President Kim B. Clark in an address given at the Brigham Young University - Idaho Commencement in 2007 taught that a leader must:

-Lead by example

-Lead with vision and 

-Lead by love. 

My favorite part talks about leading by example. We must not just talk the talk but show by our actions that we are know what we are saying. For example, an entrepreneur who sends his staff on a sales drive while he sits at home expecting results is just talking. Granted, he might get a few devoted staff who give their all but it is not the same as when the entrepreneur is at the fore-front of the affairs. Without love and vision also, the whole exercise would be pointless. I am grateful for all that I have learnt so far and I know I am becoming a disciple leader as I progress in this course. I look forward to learning more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to dream big.

Money, Money and more money