Week 1: Nostalgia and Hope

    

        When I was a little girl, I was taught that finishing school with good grades would qualify you for a job. It seemed so straight-forward. Nobody thought beyond not getting a job, nobody wanted to focus on being more. We were all content to work for someone else. I especially ensured that I had those good grades. I got a job and I was happy for about a year until I started to want more and be more. I just felt I wasn't fulfilling my full potential so I quit my job in order to serve a mission for my church. I was convinced that while I was in the service of God and my fellow-men, I would find myself and what was missing. Eighteen months later, I returned to find that the economy had taken a turn for the worse. I joined the teeming population of job applicants, this time with a craving for an adventure. I soon noticed that I wouldn't be able to find this adventure if I didn't have the necessary skills or if I was going to wait for someone to offer it to me. 

        Reading Jeff Sandefer's article "Living life as an Entrepreneurial Hero" reminded me of my struggles as I created my own adventure. It is no "cake-walk" as he puts it. I had to struggle with acceptance from family members and friends. Nobody could understand why I couldn't accept a desk job or a high paying job that limited my dreams and freedom to do what I was doing. I struggled with feelings of self-doubt, I kept asking: "Am I on the right path?” I would pray fervently everyday asking Heavenly Father to please help me. And let's not forget the rejections or the sleepless nights spent strategizing and brainstorming. Every yes was worth every sacrifice made. And the inflow of inspiration was worth every prayer. Few months into my journey, I came across a friend at the bank. He asked me if I was interested in a job offer and I told him that I didn't think I would be comfortable applying for the job. I explained to him that my current path afforded me the opportunity to learn many things and I was still learning. I was sure this process would be come to an end if I decided to take on the offer.

        Talking about learning opportunities, my decision to chart a new course for myself came with certain inadequacies. I knew that if I was going to succeed, I needed to be different and carve a niche for myself. I took courses and trainings that were available. It was also responsible for my decision to enroll in the BYU Pathway program. I had acquired certain qualifications and expertise, I had some experience under my belt, but how to make the big dream come alive was daunting. I knew I could find the answers to my questions and that if I was diligent and dedicated, I would be better prepared to embark on the greatest adventure. It is why I choose Entrepreneurship as my first certificate. My first week so far has reinforced this decision. I look forward to discovering my entrepreneurial calling.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to dream big.

Money, Money and more money

Leadership