A hero's journey

This post is aptly named because that's what an entrepreneur is. A hero goes through lots of hardships, choices and what-nots. Some heroes succeed at their quest and become famous, some are the "unseen difference" in our society, while some give their lives to fulfill their quest. What is this quest? I believe it is related with our entrepreneurial calling. After listening to Jeff Sandefer's talk, I decided to find mine by following his advice and asking five people that knew me well what I did best than anyone else. Here are some response:

"You organise things."

"You are a great organiser and a wonderful noodles chef."

"Writing articles, teaching a new language and counselling."

"You are a hard-worker."

One answer has not yet been turned in. These answers are amazing but do not point me into a specific sector. From what I can see, I could open a restaurant, run a school, plan an event, become a counsellor. However if we were to consider what Randy Komisar had to say on finding your passion we will find out that it is okay to have plenty of passions. He said: "free yourself up to think about a portfolio of passions... then marry your passions to your opportunities." This advice is timely because lately I have been feeling like I have done all there is to do as a French teacher. I am trying to not confuse this feeling with burnout or being the dabbler as George Leonard describes in the book "Mastery." I had this feeling on mission, and anytime I  did I would be transferred to another area. I have had this feeling for a while and I have been asking the Lord what is next. Unlike mission, there's no mission president to effect a transfer, I have to make a decision. Every feeling within my soul is telling me it is time to hone my accounting skills and I am scared. What if this is the wrong step? And how do I cope? What does this mean for my future?  

I am comforted by Randy's statement: "And so the issue in my mind is to make a decision based upon a set of right answers as they marry up against what you really feel about them. And then do them. And so you got this notion of, you know, you got 10 doors in front of you you’re going to walk through one. You have that immediate sense of loss. Nine doors closed. Guess what? Ten doors just opened. And if you begin to see life that way, it becomes easier to make decisions and move forward. My career makes no sense at all in the windshield. It only makes sense in the rear view mirror. And that I think applies to lots and lots and lots of people in their lives and careers." I hope that what I am learning will be enough to make the right decision.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to dream big.

Money, Money and more money

Leadership