Any last words?

Dear would be entrepreneur,
    The last fourteen weeks have been the best so far. I have learnt, relearnt until I have emerged a new creature from the ashes of ignorance. One name that resonates deep within me as I think of what I have been taught so far is "hero". One would think that heroes are people who have gone out of their way to do the extraordinary. While we may want to think that they possess super powers, I know that they only possess traits and characters that they have developed over time. Superman or Spiderman did not become perfect at once. They had to discover their super powers and learn to use them appropriately and for the good of mankind. If you ask me, there's not much difference between Superman and Tom Monaghan. One super power an entrepreneur should possess is integrity. In these few weeks, I have read repeatedly of the Enron scandal and how integrity could have prevented this incident. Anybody can open or set-up a business, what differentiates a successful entrepreneur from the rest is integrity. It is at the heart of entrepreneurship. All those who plan on embarking on this journey must make it a pre-requisite. Why? Because the road is filled with temptations and pitfalls, we could easily sell our soul for a few extra dollars or naira if we do not possess this virtue. 

    One of my favorite lessons in this course was given by Clayton M. Christensen, he aptly titles it: "How will you measure your life?" He concludes his message by saying: "I’ve concluded that the metric by which God will assess my life isn’t dollars but the individual people whose lives I’ve touched. I think that’s the way it will work for us all. Don’t worry about the level of individual prominence you have achieved; worry about the individuals you have helped become better people." Contrary to popular opinion, entrepreneurship is not about amassing a huge net-worth. In the end, it is about who you have become and the lives you have touched. Make it meaningful.

    Finally, I would ask that you finish well. An abandoned project or half-finished work cannot tell a glorious story as well as a completed one. A completed project reflects purpose and shows the efforts that have been put into it. If you must make mistakes, make them and learn from them, refine your dreams, but never leave them unachieved. It is even better to have failed than to not have tried. You will have obstacles on the way but I am confident in your ability to achieve your divine potential. Go and conquer, the world is waiting on you to bring to pass much goodness.

                                                                        

    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to dream big.

Money, Money and more money

Leadership