Who have I become?

 It's the thirteenth week and I cannot help but reflect back to the person I was before I started this course. I had this view of what this course was about and what it should do for me. I also had some preconceived notions of what I was supposed to learn. As I look bac, I cannot help but feel changed and my lopsided view of entrepreneurship re-arranged. I am grateful for the things I have learnt. I see the world differently. I am also grateful that I have a wonderful instructor. 

This week I learnt from Stan Christensen not to do things because I think it's what other people want me to do. He said: "You're not going to be able to outguess them. You will likely if you do things that you feel passionately about..." This is absolutely true. As Larry North said: "Being an entrepreneur takes extremely thick skin." It is hard. There are so many decisions to make and lots of people depending on you. You have to decide if you are in for the long haul and be willing to take the pressure. And there'll be times that you feel like you do not even know what you are doing. So you have to be prepared for it. If taking up paid employment to hone your skills is necessary, do it. There is so much to be learnt from it. You have the opportunity to network and meet people that will be relevant in the future and also acquire skills that will be very useful. For example, I learnt how to take care of kids by babysitting my nephews and niece as well as my neighbors' children. I relished the opportunity and I noticed that they were drawn to me. Even the most difficult child would smile at me and talk to me. I learnt a lot. Now fast-forward to September this year when I was asked to teach children with ages ranging from 2 to 3 years. It wasn't a challenge because I was comfortable with them. We became fast friends, even the most difficult child.

I think that apart from recognizing business opportunities and evolving with your ideas, an entrepreneur should also learn to recognize learning opportunities and grab them with both arms. As I learnt this week, we must not be in a rush to expand and open that big business. We must observe our environment and then carry out proper research just as the scientists do. We must not measure success in terms of large profit but in terms of impact and cost minimization. If we are meeting the needs of the public and at little costs then we will make profit.  And when we make profit we must also think about giving back. If the world is a better place because of us, then we are truly entrepreneurs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to dream big.

Money, Money and more money

Leadership